Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Birth Class 2: The Video

Let me start by saying, I love things that are a little bit stereotypical. For example, when planning the wedding my contact person for the Winter Park Farmer's Market was named Beulah. So in my head I conjured images of a large older black woman who was soft and mushy at heart, but kinda tough on the outside. I tried not to get my hopes up about her personality and appearance...and then I met her. Much to my delight, she was just as I imagined! Also, in England when I heard a native gentleman refer to something as "Bloody Brilliant" I could hardly contain myself.
I just LOVE stuff like that...

So, after watching countless movies and TV shows with the stereotypical weird hippie off the beaten path birthing classes, you can only imagine what I was expecting.
I knew of course this would be a bit more down-to-earth, I am not in a movie or sitcom after all (though sometimes I wonder)...

But Tuesday night, we watched a video called "Birth as we Know it" Can I just say I was so tickled! Talk about your over-the-top weird hippie spiritual off the beaten path video awesomeness! I mean the narration was done by a woman with a Russian accent! DELIGHTFUL!
It was actually a really great video for more than just those reasons - there was alot of great information, and it made me feel empowered, which I am certain was the whole point.
The really shocking part of the video was seeing an actual circumcision done!
WOW!
As Drew said - There are some things you just can't unsee...
If we were still on the fence regarding this issue, that moment would have decided it!

So Birthing Class 2 was great. And I am so excited about next week...Hypnobirthing (yup! more weird hippie stuff! And stuff I am very interested in too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment