Monday, February 15, 2010

Anemia

So what happens when you focus solely on taking care of your baby and forget to take care of yourself? Well, you could get sick, drained, overwhelmed, or...you could take a problem that was mild and make it REALLY bad.

Hello Anemia.

I am giving it a week with diet, herbal iron liquidy goodness and Chinese medicine & acupuncture. If it isn't better...I am off to the Dr. Yes, it is THAT bad! Tight chest, extreme fatigue, feeling like I can't catch my breath (I can), weakness, hair falling out (I think there may be a breastfeeding-hair falling out-anemia/vitamin deficiency connection here), funny finger nails....

I felt this way right after I had the baby...then I was better...but after a few months of slacking on my vitamins and such I am in even worse shape.
The frustrating thing is, I KNOW THIS!
I KNOW a new mother has to take time to take care of herself! I know I need to take my vitamins,drink water, etc. I know I need to be healthy and take care of myself...
So how did I let this happen!?

I've never been good with splitting my focus...and it has ALL been on the baby.
Lesson learned? Man, I hope so...
A happy mommy means a happy baby too! And it only take a few seconds here and there to do important mommy care things like drink water and take vitamins. Duh!

2 comments:

  1. Steel Magnolias, baby! A mom looks after everyone else and sees everyone else's needs, but no one looks at a mom and recognizes HER needs. We are steel magnolias. Though, at the same time, we are not. We are flesh and blood just like everyone else. Many of us are waiting for our own Moms to say to us, "Honey, you need to lay down or take time for yourself." But we don't live with our moms anymore. We need to Mother ourselves and do it more often, so that we don't end up in the hospital! Go do what you need to do, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right!
    Thanks =) I am definitely doing what I need to for myself now, and I am feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete