Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Birth Control

WARNING: This post may be a bit TMI!!!






Still Reading? Don't say I didn't warn you....





Birth Control - It is a very difficult subject. You wouldn't think so, but it really really is, especially if you have trouble with synthetic hormones like I do. And so, once again, instead of accepting "how things are" I have gone into full research mode. Here is what I have found:

The IUD, while seemingly a fantastic option for those who do not want, or cannot do the pill...is not so fantastic. For one, the most commonly used IUD has hormones too and the same side effects that cause me problems with the pill (i.e. depression, weight gain, fatigue, among other things...) but wait! It gets better! In some instances the body will basically make the IUD a part of you. Meaning it will take surgery to get it out which will usually lead to infertility since they have to cut you up (ok, it is rare, but come on, it CAN happen and that is just scary!) Also, the IUD (both the copper and the hormone one) can cause horrible bleeding and cramping...alot...it is not recommended for people with anemia and can cause anemia. Ridiculous!

So what's a girl to do!? I mean my baby is absolutely wonderful, but I want to enjoy him, and only him, for a little while. Plus I'd like to get used to this whole motherhood thing...and balancing being a wife, mom, and still being me. AND Drew and I really want to be on our feet financially before another baby...so really...what's the option here?

Fertility Awareness Method actually worked really well for us for about a year...and it does work really well if you A. Have a regular cycle and B. Don't mess up. LOL*
Breastfeeding makes the whole regular cycle thing an issue, so no FAM for us. At least for a while.

Barrier methods are common, but they come with their own issues, not to mention they can be costly, and are generally only 87% effective....hmm...

So I started reading about Neem Oil. Ok, so this may be some crazy tree hugger hippie stuff, but Neem Oil is said to be almost 100% effective when used properly AND it is a pill that the guy takes! It has a ton of health benefits, and just happens to be a birth control method to boot. Interesting right!? No side effects, no hormonal issues...seems almost to good to be true!

So Drew and I talked alot! The mini pill gave me problems so I was considering an IUD, but after what I have read, and shared with him...we have agreed that that is perhaps not the best idea...
We are going to give Neem a try, but as I am not ready to trust it 100% we will try it along with barrier and FAM (as soon as things even out there).

We decided that we would rather the small risk of getting pregnant again than have me all tired and gloomy (understatement) all the time - that would not be good for any of us. It is no way to live.
I know some people will think I'm a bit crazy for doing this...but hell, I'd rather be crazy and happy than do something I know will only make me and my family miserable.

Besides...we do make damn cute babies.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the hormone thing. My body HATES them too. So I understand. I also have the same -problem- with condoms that I know you guys do. And one of the very few brands that has worked for us without that issue happening is the one I told you about.

    You do whats right for you girl. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I knew what is right for me to do LOL*

    ReplyDelete