Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The first 7 days

Patrick is now 7 days old.
It is still sinking in that I am a mother. I have some very serene moments where I just feel as if I am overflowing with love and calm. And I have moments where I am completely overwhelmed by this. How can I be responsible for another little being when I can barely pull off just being me? Every time I start to feel this way I try to remind myself that alot of it is hormones going crazy, and not really me. I also talk to Drew about it. Expressing out moments of panic and overwhelmedness help us deal with them, and bond more with each other. And it usually leads right into happy moments and being completely smitten with the baby conversations. It is really nice to share this whole experience with each other, the good and the bad. After all, this is a journey we are going on together. 

We've only had one really rough night with the baby so far. The second night he was home. Man oh man was that a rough night! But since then we are starting to get our groove, albeit a bit clumsily still.

I've noticed that things that I feared before hand (like poop) are not nearly as scary - in fact, some of my happiest memories of the past week involve baby changing drama. Very messy, and very funny! 

I have been so lucky to have Drew with me this whole time. Being my support, my anchor, and just making me feel so cherished. Not to mention watching him with Patrick is just the most adorable thing ever! I'm so glad he got to spend the first week of Patrick's life with him and not at work. 
Sadly, the mini vacation is over and he is back to work today. This is my first day with the baby all by myself. I am happy to report it is going really well! 

I just can't believe we've already had him for 7 days...1 whole week...wow! 

2 comments:

  1. Getting to spend time with you and my perfect little nephew was just wonderful. He is seriously the most adorable thing since pumpkins! You're doing great mama. I know it can be scary, but watching you with him, I just know you can handle anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks =) Please keep reminding me of that...sometimes I'm not so sure LOL*

    ReplyDelete